A 16-year-old standard seven pupil lost her life after she was electrocuted at Kamalunga village in Usonga location within Alego/Usonga sub-county.
The girl who has been identified as Christine Auma Okech is said to have been struck and killed when she stepped on an electricity line that was lying along a footpath near her grandparents’ home.
According to the Chief of Usonga location Paul Kanoti, an electricity pole had fallen as a result of the heavy rains and it had a live wire which had not been detected.
He said that the deceased had gone to cut sisal at her grandfather’s farm near the fallen pole when she, unfortunately, stepped on the live wire, striking her dead.
The administrator stated that after noticing that the girl had fallen, her grandfather together with other relatives in attempt to save her life rushed her to the nearby Nyambare health centre where she was pronounced dead.
Kanoti who confirmed the incident stated that the police and Kenya Power Company officials have already visited the scene to fix the problem to avert further loss of lives.
He took the opportunity to implore members of the public to be reporting cases of fallen electricity poles or any loosely hanging electricity wires so that they can be fixed at an early stage before they can cause death or injuries.