Trans Nzoia: Grade Three pupil dies from suspected food poisoning after eating Githeri

By , K24 Digital
On Sat, 19 Feb, 2022 08:05 | < 1 min read
Mwingi: Two commit suicide under unknown circumstances
Rest in Peace signage. PHOTO/Internet

A Grade Three pupil at GerHellen Creative ECDE Center in Kiminini constituency, Trans Nzoia county on Friday died from suspected food poisoning after eating Githeri.

Sirende Sub-Location Assistant Chief, Esther Waswa, told K24 Digital that the 8-year old Joshua Bunguswa died after consuming githeri in the company of other pupils who were treated at a nearby health facility and discharged.

"I received a report from one of my village elders that there was a body at GerHellen creative ECDE centre. I rushed to the scene and established that one pupil aged 8 years old boy has passed on. It is suspected that the pupil died from food poisoning after eating githeri," Waswa said.

Waswa revealed that the pupils and the school's director who consumed the leftovers complained of stomachache after taking the lunch-time meal at the school.

Hellen Mwashi, the school's director was rushed to Kitale County Referral Hospital where she is still admitted.

"As we speak, the director is recuperating at Kitale County Referral Hospital. yesterday, she was on oxygen," she explained.

The administrator confirmed that Trans Nzoia County public health officers have visited the school to determine if the food consumed was poisoned.

The deceased's body has been taken to Kitale County Referral Hospital mortuary for preservation awaiting autopsy.