Man dies, 365 others hospitálised after consuming meat from cow infected with anthráx in Embu

By , K24 Digital
On Tue, 21 Mar, 2023 20:56 | < 1 min read
73-year-old man dies, 365 others hospitalised after consuming meat from cow infected with anthrax
The man died at Embu Level 5 Hospital. PHOTO/Courtesy

A 73-year-old man died and 365 others hospitalised after consuming meat from a cow suspected to have succumbed to anthrax at Gatumbi village in Iriari location, Runyenjes sub-county, Embu county, last week.

According to a report from Embu county's health department, Patrick Ndwiga Njagi died on Sunday, March 18, a day after he was admitted to Runyenjes Level 4 Hospital and later Embu Level 5 hospital with symptoms of anthrax.

The deceased is said to have started showing signs and symptoms of anthrax after assisting his neighbours slaughter the animal which was later sold to hundreds of residents.

"On 16th March the patient developed signs and symptoms with vomiting, difficulty in breathing, tremors and lesions on both hands," the department said adding that the county is on high alert over the outbreak of the disease in Runyenjes sub-county.

"On Saturday 18th March 2023 he was admitted at Runyenjes Level 4 hospital where he was transferred to Embu Level 5 Hospital in the evening of the same day. The patient Succumbed on 19th March at 12.00 noon."

A total of 365 people were screened and treated at the same hospital and are in stable condition.

Further, the health department said about 1,000 people may have consumed the contaminated meat that was bought by at least 200 households.

The department also noted that three dogs and two cats were affected and are under veterinary surveillance.

Meanwhile, police and public health officers from the county are pursuing a suspect believed to have inspected the meat despite lacking the necessary qualification.