Machakos University closed indefinitely over student unrest

By , K24 Digital
On Wed, 7 Dec, 2022 13:24 | 2 mins read
Machakos University closed indefinitely over student unrest
Anti-riot police in action at Machakos University. PHOTO/Courtesy

Machakos University's main campus has been closed indefinitely following student unrest.

In a memo on Wednesday, December 7, the university's Vice-chancellor Lucy Irungu told all the students to vacate the Machakos-based institution with immediate effect.

Irungu said the decision was reached during a special meeting convened on Wednesday morning, where the board resolved to close down the varsity for security reasons.

The opening date will be communicated later.

"Due to the evolving insecurity situation around the University and the ongoing students' demonstrations, a Special Meeting convened on 7th December 2022 resolved that in the interest of the Security of Staff and Students, the University be closed with immediate effect," the memo read in part.

"This is, therefore, to inform all students to vacate the university premises with immediate effect.
Further communication will be made in due course."

Machakos University student killed

The students took to the streets on Monday, December 5, to protest increased cases of insecurity in the institution after a student attacked by thugs died on Sunday while receiving treatment at the Kenyatta National Hospital.

The students returned to the streets on Wednesday after a student allegedly shot by the police during the Monday demonstrations passed on.

Yesterday, police said an officer linked to the shooting of Brilliant Anusu had been arrested.

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) confirmed that investigations are ongoing to nail other officers believed to have misused their guns during the operation to quell the riots.

The directorate said nine firearms had been seized from the officers for ballistic examination.

"A total of 9 firearms including 5 pistols, 3 G-3riffles and one AK-47 assault rifles have also been seized from different police officers and they will be subjected to forensic ballistic analysis at the DCI National Forensic Laboratory, to scientifically ascertain which firearms were misused when quelling the riotous students," DCI added.

Later, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) said it had launched investigations into the shooting incident.

In a statement, the agency said it had dispatched a rapid response team to the scene of the crime with specific instructions that they obtain all information that may assist in the investigation.

The agency also appealed to students to maintain calm and allow room for investigations.

"We appeal to the students and residents to maintain calm and allow the due process of the law to take its course. IPOA remains committed to being independent, impartial and fair," the statement read in parts.

"Where fault is found, the authority shall make recommendations, including but not limited to prosecution."

Related Topics