Bobi Wine allowed to Dubai after ’12 hours of interrogation’

By , K24 Digital
On Sat, 8 Oct, 2022 10:49 | 2 mins read
Bobi Wine allowed to Dubai after '12 hours of interrogation'

Ugandan activist and National Unity Platform (NUP) leader Robert Kyagulanyi, alias Bobi Wine now says he has been released after allegedly being put under arrest and grilled for hours after his phone and passport were confiscated on arrival at the Dubai International Airport.

In an update on his Twitter, Bobi who is in the country for a charity concert says he was detained for 12 hours before being allowed into the country.

He claims the said concert aimed at helping Ugandan immigrants in the UAE country contributed to his detention.

"After 12 hrs,(8:30 pm to 9:30 am) I've been finally allowed into Dubai. Hoping that our charity concert, which seemed to be the source of these issues, will be allowed to proceed. We're only trying to raise awareness and assist the many Ugandan and African Immigrant workers," he tweeted.

The artiste-cum-politician had previously said he was held at the airport and was being interrogated about his family among other things before his phone and passport were returned.

"Landed in Dubai at 8:30 pm. It’s now 5 am. I’ve been held & interrogated for 8hrs. They asked me about NUP, its leaders, their phone numbers, my family members & their contacts! I have all the necessary travel docs. They’ve confiscated my passport & my phone. Am literary under arrest."


"In Dubai to perform at a charity concert to assist some of the Ugandan immigrant workers. Been held at the airport for almost 10 hours, being interrogated mostly about NUP! My phone and passport have now been returned. Hopefully, things go as planned. Will give an update. Thanks."

Mr Kyagulanyi is the second Ugandan Opposition politician to be held in another country in less than two weeks—the first one having been Mr Chapa Karuhanga, a founding member of one of the country’s opposition parties the Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) who was on September 29 detained in an immigration facility in Dar es Salam, Tanzania over unclear cases.

Related Topics