Barasa murder case: Family cries for justice as victim laid to rest

By , K24 Digital
On Sun, 21 Aug, 2022 15:48 | 2 mins read
Barasa murder case: Family cries for justice as victim laid to rest
Brian Olunga, the late aide to politician Brian Khaemba, who was allegedly shot dead by Kimilili MP Didmus Barasa on August 9, 2022. PHOTO/Courtesy

Calls for justice dominated the burial ceremony of the bodyguard allegedly shot dead by Kimilili Member of Parliament Didmus Barasa on August 9, 2022.

Brian Olunga, the late aide to politician Brian Khaemba, was laid to rest on Saturday, August 20, in Samitsi, Malava, Kakamega County.

Family and friends eulogised the deceased as a hard-working young man, who died too soon.

Tobias Olunga, the decease's father, called on the police to expedite investigations into the killing and build a watertight case against the perpetrators of the heinous act.

"I am hoping the police will carry out a thorough job and present to court a tight case that will bring the killer of my son to book. It pains me to see such a young soul go like that," he said.

MP Didmus Barasa implicated in Olunga's murder

Barasa is alleged to have shot and killed Olunga after a disagreement at Chebukwani Polling Station.

According to the police, the deceased had visited the station at around 6:00 pm to observe tallying of the votes in the race that pitted Barasa against Khaemba, the MP-elect's main challenger.

"Upon entering the said polling station, he met Hon. Didmus Barasa the incumbent MP for Kimilili constituency.

"After about three minutes, Mr. Brian Khaemba decided to leave the station and headed to his car where Hon. Didmus Barasa followed him in the company of four men and ordered them not to allow him (Mr. Brian Khaemba) to leave the place but Mr Khaemba's driver Joshua Nasokho defied the order and ignited the vehicle," a police report read in part.

The fracas that ensued prompted the lawmaker to shoot Olunga in the forehead.

Olunga succumbed to his injuries while being rushed to hospital.

Barasa was first arraigned in court on Monday, August 15, 3 days after surrendering to authorities.

A Bungoma court on Tuesday, August 16, allowed the police to hold the suspect for 10 more days pending investigations into the incident.

The 10 days, the prosecution said, will allow detectives to record statements from officers from the National Youth Service and Independent Electoral Commission (IEBC), who witnessed the incident.

"The detectives also need time to complete and present ballistic and postmortem reports," the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) said.