Embu County commissioner Eddysson Nyale has said he was among the people affected by the inferno that gutted down property worth millions of shillings in Shauri estate, Embu town.
When he visited the area to assess the damage, he said it was disheartening to see traders lose such businesses in fire and others depended on them as the only breadwinners.
Dr. Nyale noted that he had ordered some furniture that he had fully paid for but had not collected, saying the trader who had sold him was one of the many traders who lost their property.
"This fire has affected so many people, including myself. I had bought some furniture here, but I had not collected. We say pole to those who lost their property. It's a big loss," Nyale stated.
He assured the business people who lost their property yesterday that they would follow up on the matter with the latter.
The county security chairman said they would leave no stone unturned until they find the root cause of the fire.
He noted that the government has started putting together the list of those affected to see how they can be assisted in raising their businesses again.
He called on the county government and other non-governmental organizations to come up and see how they could assist the traders.
The traders who lost their valuables said the fire was caused by tear gas canisters thrown by police who were engaging in a running battle with bodaboda riders.
They said their efforts to put off the fire were thwarted by heavy wind blaming the county government fire engine for arriving late.
"The fire was huge and it reduced our property to ashes," said Josphat Gichovi.
He pleaded with the government to come to their aid, saying he lost his property worth about Ksh200,000.
"We do not know what to do, we have children who are looking for us, and their business is no more," Gichovi added.
Julius Waweru, another trader, said his lost property amounts to Ksh550,000.