Fourteen more people in Kenya tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the total number of COVID-19 cases in the country to 172, Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe announced Tuesday, April 7.
The CS, who spoke at Afya House, said 12 out of the 14 new cases were Kenyans, whereas two were foreigners.
Four of the 14 had recent travel history to Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, South Africa and USA.
The minister also revealed that 10 out of the 14 contracted the disease by interacting with carriers in Kenya.
The 14 confirmed cases were discovered from 696 samples tested between Monday and Tuesday.
All the 14 have been moved to isolation facilities across Kenya.
In terms of county distribution of the new cases, Nairobi registered half of the cases (7), followed by Mombasa (2) and Mandera (2). Kisii, Kiambu and Machakos counties registered one case each.
The CS revealed that the two cases confirmed in Mandera had a recent travel history to Mombasa, where they could have contracted the disease.
Kagwe said the Kenyan Government has, thus far, monitored 1, 928 contacts of confirmed cases. Out of that number, 1, 415 suspected cases were tested and their examinations returned negative results. They have since been released from quarantine centers.
Besides the suspected contacts, the CS said Kenya has so far tested close to 5, 000 people for coronavirus.
Besides announcing the new infections, Kagwe said three more people had recovered from coronavirus, and were released to go home from quarantine centres.
The minister announced new measures to curb the spread of COVID-19. These include: ordering immediate closure of all golf clubs and immediate testing of all medical staff handling quarantined persons.
The Director General of Health, Dr Patrick Amoth, revealed that out of the 159 active cases (cases excluding deaths and recoveries), only one person is in the intensive care unit.
“He is under ventilation, but is doing well,” said Dr Amoth while addressing the press at Afya House.
“In the next one or two days, he will be out of ventilator support,” said Dr Amoth.
The DG of Health said two patients, who were formerly in the ICU, have been moved to normal isolation wards after their health conditions improved.
“A majority of our cases exhibit mild symptoms,” he said.
Dr Amoth also revealed that 56 per cent of the confirmed COVID-19 cases are male, whereas 44 per cent are female.
Kenya has so far registered six recoveries and seven deaths arising from coronavirus.