A look into Cheruiyot Kirui’s last post before Mt Everest climb

By , K24 Digital
On Thu, 23 May, 2024 09:28 | 3 mins read
Climber Cheruiyot Kirui. PHOTO/ Screengrab by K24 Digital / X
Climber Cheruiyot Kirui. PHOTO/ Screengrab by K24 Digital / X

A Kenyan banker, Cheruiyot Kirui, who wanted to climb without oxygen, and his guide Nawang Sherpa have been reported dead.

According to expedition reports by Seven Summit Treks, Kirui and his guide were last seen at Bishop Rock, just meters from the summit.

The Genesis of it all

In a long post shared about five days ago on his Instagram, climber Kirui shared his itinerary ahead of the Mt Everest climb. He highlighted that he was getting ready for his summit rotation after having 10 successful base camp days.

“Finally, tonight we head up, for summit rotation after 10 basecamp days,” Cheruiyot wrote.

Climber Cheruiyot Kirui, moments before his summit. PHOTO/ Screengrab by K24 Digital/ (@cheruiyot_ak) / Instagram

Kirui went on to add that at the time he was at the base camp, parties were held in honour of people who had successfully summitted. He highlighted that the Kazakh party in particular was very lively, seeing it was powered by the Kenyan armband, celebrating the first Kazakh woman to summit Everest.

Cheruiyot went on to state his mega plan ahead of his summit and the measures he had put in place ahead of his climb. He noted that his climb was a ‘no-oxygen-climb’ and with it came several risks that he was well prepared for.

“A no-oxygen attempt comes with its special preparations and risks, physically my body is ready. On the other risks, I'm taking the following measures,” Cheruiyot wrote.

In his breakdown, Cheruiyot had factored in how he would deal with the cold, and in case he got frostbitten, for both his hands and feet.

“Without oxygen one is much more susceptible to frostbite. So I have; For the hands: A pair of heated gloves, a pair of heated mittens with a spare set of batteries. For the Feet: Two pairs of heated socks with a spare set of batteries,” Kirui added.

Climbing gears for Climber Cheruiyot Kirui. PHOTO/ Screengrab by K24 Digital/ (@cheruiyot_ak) / Instagram

Additionally, Kirui on his part, had factored in medications and his emergency plan in case things went south. He added that the summit was a huge investment physically, mentally, timewise and financially something he said would render him bankrupt once he made his way back to Kenya.

“And so after heavy investment physically, mentally, timewise, this expedition is taking more than a month from a regular 8 to 5 banker), financially (the amount of zeros needed to make this happen means I declare bankruptcy immediately I land back in Kenya,” he wrote.

In his closing remarks, Kirui remained hopeful that he would successfully conquer the summit and he gave his remarks to his followers asking them to reconvene to his page for an update.

“As usual we reconvene here in a few days to see how things will have turned out,” Cheruiyot posted.

Summiting Everest

According to Nawarg Sherpa, Kirui was acting abnormally when he arrived at Base Camp. The two then went "out of contact," but it is difficult to understand how climbers can disappear amid the crowds.

A deep-dive on Cheruiyot's climb to Mt. Everest. PHOTO/ Screengrab by K24 Digital (@abuga_makori) / X

Cheruiyot Kirui, who attempted to scale Everest without supplemental oxygen, remained out of contact from Bishop Rock, a few metres below the summit, according to Mingma Sherpa, the Chairman of Seven Summit Treks.

"Kirui, a banker working with KCB, and his Sherpa guide Nawang were last contacted at Bishop Rock, then, the duo went out of contact," Sherpa said.

Seven Summit Treks has mobilized two Sherpa rescuers to search for them. "They have reached above balcony area," he added.