Malindi: Woman cries for justice after being assaulted by American man multiple times

By , K24 Digital
On Thu, 3 Aug, 2023 12:09 | 2 mins read
Ann Kaburu at Malindi police station. PHOTO/ Sophie Njoka.

A woman is crying for justice after allegedly being assaulted by an American national over five times.

Ann Kaburu claims that Philip Andrew has been beating her due to the delayed processing of a land title deed for a parcel of land that she sold to him at a cost of Ksh 6 million in November last year.

"I sold the land to him. l transferred the land to his name after he completed the payment. However, due to the delay from the ministry of land he storms my house anytime and begins to beat me claiming that l have to produce the title deed for him despite having followed all the legal processes," she stated.

Kaburu alleges that the American is being protected by a senior police officer at the Malindi Tourist Police Unit.

"The in charge of the Tourist police unit orders for the release of the suspect whenever he gets arrested," she claims

Several reports seen by K24 Digital indicate that the assault ordeals were first reported in March this year under OB Number 45/30/03/2023 at the Malindi Tourist Police.

In April 2023 Kaburu filed another assault report at the same police station under OB Number 31/27/4/2023.

And in June this year, Kaburu yet again visited the same police station to report and was issued another OB number dated 25/01/06/2023.

"The Tourist police station has become my second home every month l have to report at the station and beg them to protect my life from a foreigner who easily buys his way out. Where shall l find justice? Are they waiting for me to be killed for them to take action?" She posed.

Yet again in July, she reported another similar incident under OB Number 94/25/07/2023.

On Wednesday, another assault case was reported against Andrew at the same police station.

K24 Digital reached out to the in-charge Malindi Tourist police unit who is accused of protecting Andrew however he did not pick up calls nor reply to text messages left to him.

On his part, Malindi sub-county police Commander Wilmot Mwakio said that he was aware of the matter and the file had already been forwarded to the ODPP for further action.

"I personally took time to peruse the file and l understand it has already been handed over to the ODPP offices for further action for the report made yesterday l issued instructions for her to be given an OB number," he said.

It still remains unclear on the number of files which have been forwarded to the office of the ODPP considering the victim has reported five incidences of assault.

Related Topics