Two brothers die, 32 others hospitalised after consuming poisonous meat in Kiambu

By , K24 Digital
On Tue, 30 Nov, 2021 09:29 | < 1 min read
Photo used for illustration only. PHOTO/Courtesy

Two brothers from Kiamwangi village in Gatundu South, Kiambu County have succumbed to suspected Anthrax disease.

In what could be an outbreak in the far-flung village, 32 others from the same area amd who exhibited symptoms such as sores, swellings, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pains were admitted in nearby hospitals and discharged.

According to Paul Mwatha, the Kiamwangi location chief, the two brothers died on different dates between November 20 and November 29 after eating meat from a cow that slaughtered when sickly.

One of the brothers died while receiving treatment at Gatundu Level Five hospital last night.

The cow, according to the chief was ailing from unknown disease and a veterinary who came to assess it's situation had advised the owner (a cousin to the deceased brothers) to slaughter it and bury.

The two middle-aged brothers, according to Mwatha however declined to bury it and instead decided to feast even in the absence of the owner who was giving instructions on phone.

"The owner was not around and he even sought the help of a veterinary when he was away. Upon assessment, the veterinary ordered for slaughtering and burying of the animal but the two brothers went on to feast," Mwatha said.