More questions unanswered as main witness in Kevin Omwenga murder case is found dead inside his bedroom

By , K24 Digital
On Sun, 25 Jul, 2021 16:21 | 2 mins read
Kevin Omwenga died after being shot in the chest last Friday, August 21. [PHOTO | K24 DIGITAL]
Kevin Omwenga died after being shot in the chest last Friday, August 21. [PHOTO | K24 DIGITAL]
Kevin Omwenga died after being shot in the chest last Friday, August 21. [PHOTO | K24 DIGITAL]

Investigations into the mysterious murder of car dealer Kevin Omwenga could be thrown into jeopardy after a key witness was found dead.

According to detectives, Omwenga was shot dead in August last year at his house in Kilimani after a business deal he was supposed to seal in Dubai went south.

Police arrested gold dealer Chris Obure and his guard Robert Ouko Bodo who were charged with murder.

The two denied the charge and were granted bail of Ksh2 million and Ksh500,000 respectively by Justice Jessie Lessit. 

However on Wednesday last week, Wycliffe Omwenga, the younger brother to Kevin Omwenga who was the key witness in his brother’s death was found dead inside his house in Nairobi's Riruta estate.

An uncle to Wycliffe tried reaching his kin via phone and when he failed to get a response, he sent a relative together with a boda boda to check on him.

According to sources close to K24 Digital, Wycliffe's lifeless body was found inside his bedroom with the house allegedly locked from inside.

Relatives of the deceased further stated that they were sent away from Riruta police station when they went to report their kin's death, an accusation that has raised pertinent questions about Wycliffe's death.

Speaking to K24 Digital, an officer from DCI headquarters said detectives will grill one of the suspects in the murder of Kevin Omwenga over Wednesday's 21 death of the car dealer's younger brother in Riruta.

The detectives say that Wycliffe might have met his death at the hands of powerful parties who have various interests to protect.

The detectives visited the scene where the body was found and interrogated neighbours. They also interrogated police officers at the station over their conduct.

Wycliffe's relatives further said that they were forced to use private means to ferry the body to the mortuary after officers at the Riruta Police Station said they did not have a vehicle.

They claimed they had to beg the officers to give them a note showing that Wycliffe lived alone before they were allowed to break into his house and remove the body.

Confirming the incident, Kilimani head of DCI Stephen Tanki said a post-mortem was scheduled for Tuesday, July 27 to get to the bottom of the matter.