Agitated GSU officers rough up activist Boniface Mwangi for recording them during altercation

By , K24 Digital
On Fri, 8 Oct, 2021 19:31 | 2 mins read
Activist Boniface Mwangi in a past protest. PHOTO/COURTESY

An amateur video has been making rounds on social media where officers attached to the General Service Unit GSU were captured beating up activist Boniface Mwangi at a building in Nairobi.

The incident that happened on Friday captured a heated confrontation between the activist who doubles up as a politician and two GCU officers who wanted to arrest a receptionist at a barber shop.

Mwangi took issues with them because they never explained why they wanted to make the arrest and asked to produce their documents, the duo would deny.

As this was happening, the politician was also capturing the events on his mobile phone, which later turned to be the issue he differed with the officers.

On realising that the matter was becoming serious, the two men walked out and returned with a woman who they referred to as their boss.

The woman introduced herself as an employee of the Nairobi Metropolitan Services NMS before she started questioning why Mwangi was capturing the confrontation on his phone.

Her hostilities raised lots of concern and would immediately be joined by the two officers, who demanded that he hands over his phone to them.

The officers then tried to forcefully take the phone from him, and he started running away from the scene.

Mwangi would be roughed up and chased inside the building and when he fell down, they started assaulting him as others tried to take the phone from him.

Speaking to K24 Digital, Mwangi said that he had visited his barbershop when the two men with one GSU officer tried to arrest a woman at the premises.

“I asked them to identify themselves and even challenged them to show their job cards, and they failed to do so. I had no option but ask them to leave immediately before they became violent,” Mwangi said.

The activist added the officers had injured his legs during the altercation.

Mwangi said that even after the officers beat him up, they did not manage to take away the phone from him.

He said that the officers later left without making any arrests and the whole matter was captured by CCTV camera in the building.

Two weeks ago, the activist who has been on the forefront in the fight against police brutality also stopped two GSU officers who attempted to arrest a civilian at the Kenya National Theatre premises located in the city.

He asked the officers to go and make a report at the Nairobi Central police station before taking any action against the man.

In an amateur video which was taken by the activist who is also an ex-journalist, the officers were captured accusing the man of abusing them.