Blow to Governor Obado as court orders Sharon murder case to proceed

By , K24 Digital
On Mon, 5 Jul, 2021 14:27 | 2 mins read
Okoth Obado

Migori Governor Okoth Obado has been dealt a huge blow after a Nairobi court declined to postpone the murder case of Rongo University student Sharon Otieno.

In the case, Obado is accused of killing Sharon, whose lifeless body was found in a thicket near Oyugis, and her unborn baby.

The governor is charged alongside his personal assistant Michael Oyamo and Casper Obiero, a clerk in Migori County.

Justice Cecelia Githua dismissed the application by the three saying Justice should not be seen to be delayed.

“It would be in the interest of all persons to have the trial begin in the quickest time possible because none of us knows how long the pandemic will remain in our midst, we can only take mitigation measures,” she said.

The Nairobi court directed the prosecution team to avail witnesses so that the hearing of the case can continue.

Barely a week ago, the Migori County chief, through his lawyer Kioko Kilukumi, wrote to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) Noordin Haji requesting the postponement of the case.

According to the Lawyer, the Governor could not attend the hearing of the case in Nairobi as expected because his county has been listed as a Covid-19 hotspot area.

 “In light of the directions issued by the Ministry of Health on June 17 for the greater public good and to avoid the quick spread of the Delta variant of COVID-19 to the rest of the country, my client is unable to travel outside the COVID-19 hotspot zone (Migori county),” read Kilukumi’s letter as seen by K24 Digital.

Obado wanted the case postponed and the new hearing date set in light of the prevailing Covid-19 situation.

The move was opposed by the Director of Public Prosecution Noordin Haji who said the case should continue as scheduled.

Sharon’s parents had last week requested the ODPP’S office to fast-track the case since the matter has delayed for a long.

“We pray for quick justice because that is the only thing that will relieve the pain and anguish of losing our firstborn child,” Douglas Otieno, Sharon’s father, requested.

The hearing of the case was to begin in March 2020 but was rescheduled following the scaling down of court operations due to the surge in COVID-19 infections.

Sharon’s murder case is scheduled to be heard from July 12 in a tent outside Milimani law courts.