Juacali reveals he was once paid Ksh700K for performance

By , K24 Digital
On Fri, 7 Jan, 2022 16:37 | < 1 min read
Jua Kali. PHOTO/COURTESY

Artistes really cash out during events and most secure big bags just to appear on stage but what’s the figure?

Kenyan hip hop legend Paul Julius Nunda also known as Jua Cali revealed that was once written a fat cheque of Ksh700,000 for a single overnight performance.

The 42-year-old, who was speaking to comedian Oga Obinna on his Youtube show dubbed Kula Cooler, said that the aforesaid payment, which he received in 2012, was the biggest cheque he has ever bagged through his decades-long career.

“What’s the highest amount of money you’ve ever been paid for a performance? (Not an endorsement, just getting on stage and killing a show),” Oga Obinna posed.

The Hip Hop legend then replied; “I was given a cheque of Ksh700K back in 2012, it was a corporate show.”

This revelation comes as Eric Omondi continues with his clarion call to have players in the entertainment industry receive payments that are commensurate to the work they invest in their projects. The funnyman has since taken his fight to the doors of event planners.

“Please be notified that this year I will personally scrutinize every detail of every event!!! I want to know how much artistes are paid.” Omondi wrote on Instagram.

According to him, artistes should be given a 70 percent down payment before the events, and the remaining 30 percent on the day of the event. 

“I want to ensure that every artist is paid 70 percent of their money prior and 30 percent on the day of the event before the event,” he added. 

The entertainer further categorized Kenyan musicians into two categories: the A-listers and B-listers. 

Omondi claims, the A-list artists should get a minimum of Ksh 600,000 for performing at events while the B-listers should not get anything below Ksh 450,000.