One of Nairobi’s most wanted thugs arrested in dramatic police chase

By , K24 Digital
On Wed, 1 Feb, 2023 10:09 | 2 mins read
Most wanted thug arrested in dramatic chase with police in Nairobi
Wanted robber George Ngugi alias Choku who was arrested on Monday, January 30, 2023. PHOTO/DCI (@DCI_Kenya)/Twitter

One of the most wanted thugs in Nairobi was on Monday night arrested in a dramatic police chase in the city.

According to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI), George Ngugi alias Choku was nabbed by a team of officers led by Huruma OCS after staging an attack on a couple that was headed home from work.

The knife-wielding thug is said to have accosted Mohammed Adan and his wife Sameha Mihammud as they headed home around the KAG Church, snatching their mobile phones before taking off on a getaway bike with an accomplice.

DCI said the police boss who was on the beat with his men arrived just on time as the thugs were taking off.

The officers gave the robbers a chase with a motorbike before a backup Landcruiser arrived to help in pursuing the thugs.

"In an incident that literary shook the shacks lined up near the Kariobangi-Huruma flyover,the OCS leading his anti-mugging squad on a motorbike went after the thugs with exasperation, in a chase reminiscent of the Grand Prix motorcycle championship," DCI said.

After a spirited chase, the officers caught up with the thugs and out of panic the miscreants’ bike hit a pavement and the duo landed on the tarmac with a heavy thud.

Police said one of the thugs managed to escape by diving into a stormwater culvert as the jailbird was arrested swiftly by the battle-hardened crime busters.

Ngugi, who has featured constantly in the list of Nairobi’s most wanted criminals, was taken in for interrogation where sleuths established that he had been arrested in 2011 for preparation to commit a felony, and was released on cash bail.

In 2012, he was arrested again for the same offence and being in possession of narcotics.

Detectives are yet to establish how he left the cells a week ago and is now back to his old ways of terrorising innocent members of the public.

The suspect is in custody awaiting arraignment in court.

Related Topics