Waititu goes on ground to inspect projects 2 days after his release

By Pascal Sala On Sat, 3 Aug, 2019 18:21 | 2 mins read
Ferdinand Waititu
Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu. PHOTO | FILE
Editor's Review

    Waititu has vowed to continue serving Kiambu residents as the county chief despite orders by the Anti-Corruption court barring him from going back to his office.

    Speaking on Saturday at Kikuyu market, Waititu blamed his deputy, James Nyoro, for his "woes".

    The Governor said he will chair a cabinet meeting next week at a place of his choice, but not county headquarters.

Embattled Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu has vowed to continue serving Kiambu residents as the county chief despite orders by the Anti-Corruption court barring him from going back to his office.

Speaking on Saturday when he inspected the ongoing construction of Kikuyu market — just two days after being released from Industrial Area remand prison –, Waititu blamed his deputy, James Nyoro, for his “woes”.

“Most of my duties involve building roads, markets, hospitals, and other projects that are not in Kiambu County offices. The court only blocked me from entering the office,” he said, vowing to continue serving as governor.

“There are over 100 uncompleted projects in Kiambu County. So, I would like to tell my opponents that I have no time for distractions. It is my time to work for Kiambu residents,” he said.

According to Waititu, “the governor’s powers lie with the person elected in that capacity”.

Waititu also rubbished a Cabinet meeting chaired by Deputy Governor James Nyoro last week, saying Nyoro breached the law.

Waititu vowed to have youth locked up in Kiambu cells over what he termed as “petty offences” released from Monday next week.

“I saw our people being eaten by lice and bedbugs over petty offences and I have decided to make sure they are released from the prison,” he said.

“It was God’s grace that I was taken there to meet and see my people suffering in remand. The situation in there is unbearable and I have to do something to help my people,” he said.

Waititu also told off those “dreaming of my position” after the court barred him from accessing his office.

“Those who want to succeed me, please wait for 2022 for the voters to decide, but now let me work for the people who elected me to office,” said Waititu.

Nairobi Magistrate Lawrence Mugambi on July 30 barred Waititu from office until his Ksh588 million graft case is heard and determined.

In his ruling, Magistrate Mugambi concurred with the precedent set by Justice Mumbi Ngugi, who ruled that county bosses charged with economic crimes be barred from their offices until their cases are heard and determined.

Are you a Kenyan in the diaspora with a story to tell? Do you know someone of Kenyan origin doing something remarkable in the diaspora? Do you have an opinion that you would like to share? Email us at [email protected]