UK gov’t denies covering up for soldier accused of killing Kenyan woman

By , K24 Digital
On Wed, 29 Nov, 2023 20:35 | 2 mins read
James Mwangi of African Centre for Corrective and Preventive Action
James Mwangi of African Centre for Corrective and Preventive Action who is advocating for justice for the family. Screengrab by Francis Muli

The UK government has denied covering up the investigations on the death of a Kenyan woman alleged to have been killed by a British soldier 11 years ago.

In a response by the British Army Training Unit in Kenya (BATUK) Commander Colonel Andrew Wilde, UK says the investigation on the death of Agnes Wanjiru is still ongoing and Kenya police are in conduct of the matter.

"It is not true to state that the Ministry of Defence of the UK government covered up the investigations or the revelations of the perpetrators of the alleged murder of the late Agnes Wanjiru as alleged at all," Colonel Wilde states to the court.

He adds that the probe into the death of Wanjiru is being undertaken by the National Police Service and therefore the family should await the outcome of the ongoing investigations.

"As far as l am aware, this investigation is still ongoing," the BATUK chief states.

UK authorities cooperation

In addition, the officer states the UK Ministry of Defence and the Defence Serious Crime Unit previously known as the Royal Military Police have been cooperating with the Kenya crime detectives to resolve the death and have the culprit brought to book.

He therefore says since the Kenya police are ably undertaking the probe there is no need for the British investigators to conduct a parallel exercise on the death of Wanjiru.

Colonel Wilde has urged the court to strike out the petition seeking to compel the British government to present in court all the evidence pertaining to the death of Wanjiru.

At the same time, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Renson Ingonga has also stated that his office is yet to receive a complete file on the investigation of the death of Wanjiru.

Ingonga says his office has since recommended an inquest into the death of Wanjiru to unearth the circumstances under which she mysteriously died 11 years ago.

The responses by BATUK and the DPP came after the family of the deceased woman moved to court on October 3, 2023, accusing the Kenyan authorities of delaying justice in the matter.

Lawyer Mbiyu Kamau for the family of Wanjiru has protested the delay in arresting and charging the British soldier who was last seen with Wanjiru.

When the case was up for hearing on Wednesday, November 29, 2023, the parties were informed that the trial judge Lawrence Mugambi was unavailable as he was attending to an official assignment elsewhere.

As a consequence, the Deputy Register High Court Constitution and Human Rights Division rescheduled the case for hearing to May 21, 2024.

Related Topics