Three suspected thieves burnt in Trans Nzoia

By , K24 Digital
On Thu, 3 Mar, 2022 09:58 | 2 mins read
Nyeri: Former KDF soldier linked to murder of 2 night guards
A police car. PHOTO/File

Three suspected thieves were on Tuesday night burnt beyond recognition in Nyota area along Kitale-Endebess highway in Trans Nzoia County.

The three armed youths were using a motorcycle after committing a criminal offence in Kitale Ndogo area before they were cornered and burnt by a mob.

Trans Nzoia West Sub-County Police Commander Patrick Lobolia, told K24 Digital that the three unidentified youths were armed with crude weapons.

“Members of the public caught up with the three young men who had machetes, grill cutters and other crude weapons which we suspect they had used to commit a felony in that area. They were beaten and burnt beyond recognition,” Lobolia said.

Lobolia said officers from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations, have launched an investigation to identify the three and to find out if the motorcycle used was stolen.

Isaac Ngaruiya, an eyewitness told K24 Digital that when members of the public stopped them, the three tried to attack them resulting in a confrontation.

“We received distress calls from our neighbours that there were thieves in the area and the locals here set up a roadblock. When the three thieves arrived here, they wanted to attack members of the public using arrows and hammers. They were overpowered and burnt using firewood. They all died here,” Ngaruiya said.

He said that some politicians are suspected to be financing a criminal gang that is operating in Kisumu Ndogo, Tuwan, Bondeni and Mitume areas and called on security officers to enhance night security patrols in those areas.

“We are living in fear because the criminal gang has denied us peace in this area. Our worry is that whenever suspects are arrested, they are released on the intervention of our local leaders. We want police officers to do more patrols in this area so that we can have peace,” he appealed.

The three bodies have been taken to Kitale County Referral Hospital morgue for preservation awaiting postmortem.