Globally, over 800,000 people die as a result of suicide every year, translating to 1 death every 40 seconds.
Suicide is the second cause of mortality among people aged between 15 and 29.
For every suicide, about 20 people make an attempt.
Suicides in Kenya
- The World Health Organization estimates that six out of every 100,000 deaths in Kenya are suicides.
- Depression and anxiety remains the common types of mental illness in the country.
- 42 per cent of patients seeking treatment in health facilities in the country present with severe symptoms of depression.
- 7.9 per cent of suicidal thoughts among victims are linked to depression.
Suicide warning signs
- Withdrawal: Preferring to be alone and avoiding ,friends or taking part in social activities
- Threatening suicide
- Excessive sadness or moodiness — often associated with mood swings, sadness, unexpected rage.
- Sudden calmness calmness especially after an episode of depression or moodiness
- Feeling of hopelessness
- Change of attitude or general appearance
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Awareness creation
- Show compassion and care for those in distress
- Eliminate stigma associated with mental health
- Follow up care for people who have attempted suicide