Sonko threatens to starve Badi of cash, terms NMS illegal

By K24Tv Team On Mon, 16 Nov, 2020 16:15 | < 1 min read
Governor Sonko
Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko appears before Senate Health Committee on Monday, November 16, 2020. PHOTO | SCREENSHOT

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has threatened to starve the Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS) of cash, calling the entity that runs the capital city illegal.

Governor Sonko said that he has been receiving money from above without any legal framework, adding that he will not participate in such dealings.

“There is no way we can give money until they make NMS be a legal entity… So far, this is a scandal in waiting,” said Sonko.

Speaking before Senate’s Health Committee on Monday, November 16, Governor Sonko repeated the same claims he made last week when he snubbed summons to appear before lawmakers.

Sonko vowed to disregard the deed of transfer he signed handing over key dockets to the NMS which is led by Maj-Gen Mohammed Badi.

His threats come amid salary delays for Nairobi County staff as the turf wars between Sonko and Badi escalates.  

Are you a Kenyan in the diaspora with a story to tell? Do you know someone of Kenyan origin doing something remarkable in the diaspora? Do you have an opinion that you would like to share? Email us at [email protected]