Senior Kenya Airforce officer found dead under unclear circumstances

By , K24 Digital
On Tue, 27 Sep, 2022 12:48 | 2 mins read
Flavian Mwangi Waweru,at a past event. PHOTO/Courtesy

Police in Nairobi are burning the midnight oil trying to unravel the mystery behind the death of a senior Kenya Airforce officer who was found dead in the evening of Monday, September 26, 2022.

The officer, Col Flavian Mwangi Waweru, a commandant of the Kenya Air Force (KAF) Training wing at the Moi Airbase in Eastleigh, Nairobi, was found lying lifeless in his car moments after he had left the camp at 4:00 pm.

Police statement

Police say the deceased had left the camp and was headed to the city centre moments before the incident occurred.

Witnesses stated that they had seen his car (the deceased) parked at the camp for a long time and called the police and military officials.

Military officials and police who arrived at the scene found Waweru unresponsive and rushed him to a nearby health centre where he was pronounced dead.

The body of the deceased was moved to the mortuary.

Waweru's death comes a few days after he presided over the closing ceremony of the Kenya Air Force new soldiers sports talent search championship held at the Sina Makosa stadium, Moi Airbase in Nairobi.

The event held between September 22 and September 23, saw new soldiers contest various sporting activities such as netball, cross country and volleyball.

Another officer died

The incident comes five days after a missing retired chief inspector of police was found dead at lodging in Isiolo.

Stanley Njiru Kabaci had gone missing on September 2, 2022, under unclear circumstances.

While confirming the death, Isiolo North Sub-county Police Commander Collins Sainna said the former police boss left home at Majimbo in Embu West to buy some construction materials that were required in a house he was putting up. He never returned home.

Some residents reported that they had seen him board a matatu.

He is said to have checked into the lodging in Isiolo town alone the evening he went missing.

His body would later be discovered by the lodging attendant lying on the bed with the room left unlocked.

Detectives said the deceased's legs were leaning on the ground and that he still had his shoes on.

The hotel management reported the matter to the police who later visited and documented the scene.

Police car. PHOTO/Internet

Later, police circulated the information and the family visited the town where the wife, Sarah Wangui, positively identified the body.

Police are investigating how Njiru travelled from Embu to Isiolo and if any person accompanied him to the town.

"Investigations are underway to establish the circumstances that forced him to leave Embu and find himself in Isiolo," the OCPD said.

"We are investigating circumstances under which the deceased travelled from Embu to Isiolo and checked in a hotel, we are engaging the family to have more information on what transpired."

One of the deceased's family members has confirmed that the body has been moved to Embu awaiting postmortem to unearth the cause of the death.

Related Topics