Shock as retired police officer takes own life in Uasin Gishu

By , K24 Digital
On Tue, 12 Jul, 2022 13:51 | 2 mins read
Retired police officer commits suicide in Uasin Gishu
Police car. PHOTO/Internet

Residents of Kosachei area, Turbo Uasin Gishu County, have been left in shock after a retired police officer committed suicide.

Police said David Boit ingested a poisonous substance over alleged life frustrations.

In a suicide note recovered from the deceased, the ex-cop blamed himself for wasting more than 40 years he spent in the National Police Service (NPS).

Boit regretted that his children are suffering because of him and begged them for forgiveness.

Mimi nilijaribu miaka 40 Kwa police ya bure. Saa hii watoto wangu wanahangaika kwa sababu yangu. So let them forgive me. (I tried for forty years while in the service in vain. At the moment my kids are suffering a lot because of me. So let them forgive me,” read the suicide note.

Boit, who was sleeping in a different house from his wife, was found dead on Tuesday morning.

The widow told the police that she had gone to check on her husband and found the door locked from inside. She knocked on the door but there was no response.

It was then that she informed the neighbours who assisted her to break into the house where they found the lifeless body lying on the bed.

Police who responded to the scene also found an empty bottle of Triatix acaricide and an empty glass in Boit's bedroom.

The suicide note recovered also indicated that the officer owed a local 'fundi' and another resident debt totaling Ksh35,000.

Deni fundi Mr Barasa 20000/=, Mr Kimutai Boit-15000/=. Nje sina deni (I did not have any other debt apart from this),” the note read in part.

The body of the deceased was moved to Kimbilio Hospital mortuary pending an autopsy.

Suicide incidences due to depression, tough economic times, and other family matters even among serving officers have been rampant.

Police commits suicide at Buruburu Police station

Last Thursday, a police officer stationed at Buruburu Police station ended his life after he was captured in a viral video intoxicated.

The body of Constable Harrison Mugo was found hanging from the rafters of the Buruburu police station canteen.

Mugo had been fighting depression for almost three years after losing his first-born son.

His wife, Judy Wambui Mugo said they lost their son on May 11, 2019, through a road accident during an educational trip in Nanyuki.

Some of Mugo's colleagues said from the day he was captured drunk until the day he died, he fondly spoke of the son.