The government has promised to honour its pledge on cash reward offer to the people who aided in the recapture of the Kamiti Maximum prison convicted escapees.
But it has indicated there would be a need to conceal the identity or identities of those who genuinely deserve the payment for security reasons.
In a statement to the public, the police spokesperson Bruno Shioso has said they are also keen on the verification process to ensure only the deserving person gets the reward.
“The government intends to honor its pledge on the cash reward offer. This will however be subject to a due verification process to ensure the reward goes to the deserving recipients,” the statement read in part.
"The security nature of the incident and the risk of harm to those who genuinely aided the capture of the high-value trio may militate against full public disclosure of the eventual beneficiaries of the cash award," the statement noted.
He also said the subsequent investigation following the recapture of the convicts is progressing well and they have so far collected the crucial leads from the scene of arrest which is currently undergoing forensic analysis.
The police spokesman also acknowledged that there have been incidences where several people have claimed to have helped in the recapture of the suspects.
“The government acknowledges that the rearrests of the suspects was made possible with the support of the members of the public. Indeed, the accounts of several people who separately claim to have played a role in the capture has been extensively reported,” part of the statement read.
The three convicts escaped from Kamiti maximum prison on November 17 and the government announced a cash reward of Ksh 20 million for information that would lead to arrest of each of the three escapees.
The three; Musharaf Abdalla Akhulunga also known as Shukri, Mohamed Ali Abikar and Joseph Juma Odhiambo alias Yusuf were arrested by Anti-Terrorism Police Unit (ATPU) in Kitui.
They were believed to be on their way to Somali.