Property worth over Ksh2.4M destroyed in school fire in West Pokot

By , K24 Digital
On Wed, 8 Sep, 2021 12:28 | < 1 min read
House burning. PHOTO/COURTESY

Property worth over Ksh2.4 million was burnt down after two solar batteries exploded at Kutung primary school in Serewo, West Pokot County.

The fire broke out at around 7.00 pm on Tuesday when pupils were in class during their evening preps consuming two dormitories and the school's store.

Confirming the fire incident, West Pokot county police commander Jackson Tumwet said as teachers were supervising pupils during preps time the batteries powering the solar lighting system exploded.

"Police officers from both the station and DCI West Pokot rushed to the scene and found a huge fire burning two adjacent dormitories and a food store. The fire was later contained at around 9:50 pm by the help of West Pokot fire brigade and members of the public," Tumwet noted.

He said there were no injuries reported but property worth millions of money was destroyed.

"Personal effects for 130 pupils were burnt. The school also lost 60 bags of maize, 25 bags of beans, 5 bags of rice, 5 jerricans of 20 litres of cooking oil, 10 bundles of salt, 3 solar panels, 10-litre water tank among other items." he added.

The school headteacher Simiyu Kimawachi said the school has lost a lot after the fire incident hence urged well-wishers to help rebuild the school.

"Fortunately the fire broke out when the pupils were in class. I can't imagine what would have happened if the learners were in the dormitories," he said.

He noted that the school doesn't have an electricity connection and they have been using solar energy for power.

"The school has a total population of more than 900 pupils, 130 are borders. We thank the county government and the community at large for helping us to put off the fire." He added.