Notorious Ruai-gang leader gunned down by DCI

By , K24 Digital
On Thu, 18 Aug, 2022 07:21 | 2 mins read
Crime scene 'Do not cross' barricade tape. PHOTO/Internet.

A leader of a notorious criminal gang in Ruai has been gunned down in Nairobi's Starehe area.

The gangster identified as Paul Muriithi Naomi alias Muruthi was killed on Wednesday, August 17 during a shoot-out with detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI).

According to the DCI, the gangster who has been on the detective's wanted list for the past few months engaged the officers in a shootout moments after he defied orders to surrender.

"The detectives who were acting on intelligence leads traced Muruthi to his rented house located at Githunguri, Ruai, in the outskirts of the city. The battle-hardened crime busters credited for ridding Mathare, Huruma and Pangani of criminal gangs, hastened Muruthi’s appointment with his creator after he shot at them from one of the windows of his house," DCI stated.

Muriithi was caught after one of the detectives posed as a 'mali mali' dealer.

In the plan orchestrated to smoke him out and lead him to his trap, the detective asked him (the gangster) if he would like to purchase merchandise from him.

Aggrieved, the thug harshly declined as he asked the officer not to show up at his door again.

"Known for high-level deception while smoking out hardened criminals, one of the detectives posing as a ‘mali mali’ dealer had approached the thug’s neighbourhood shouting mareeeee, mareeeeee! while carrying some basins and laundry baskets,

"He then knocked on the thug’s door repeatedly until the miscreant unlatched the door halfway. Niukugura mare? (Will you buy mare?) posed the officer. Dikwenda na dugoke guku ringi! (I don’t want and don’t come back here!) retorted the thug as he banged the door," DCI noted.

Detectives later returned to Muriithi's house requesting to have a word with him, Muriithi however responded to the officers by opening fire at them through a window.

"A shootout then ensued as the detectives responded to the provocation with precision. Moments later, the thug was subdued and the sleuths gained entry to the house, where his lifeless body was sprawled on the floor. A Ceska pistol serial number B 681256 loaded with four rounds of 9mm calibre was recovered, while 11 spent cartridges littered the scene," the detectives added.

Preliminary investigations revealed that the firearm used by the thug had been violently robbed from a civilian firearm holder who lost valuables worth over half a million shillings a week ago.

The body of the deceased was moved to the city mortuary.

Related Topics