By Kigotho Mwangi and Matthew Ndungu
Nakuru County Commissioner Erastus Mbui has ordered the immediate closure of Nasha and Wakulima markets.
Speaking on Wednesday during a press briefing at the governor’s office at Milimani, Mr. Mbui also kicked out boda boda and matatu operators from the Nakuru Central Business District.
The administrator said the closure of the CBD and markets was for the good of the people in wake of coronavirus pandemic.
But many shopkeepers had already adhered to the Health ministry’s directive to stay at home as a way of curbing the spread of coronavirus.
On Tuesday, Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe flagged Nairobi, Mombasa, Kwale and Kilifi counties as high-risk areas for the spread of coronavirus.
CS Kagwe said the nine more people who tested positive for coronavirus came from the four counties.
However, Mr. Kagwe said they have put extra measures in the four counties to ensure the virus does not spread further.
Kilifi Governor Amason Kingi also put his county on partial lockdown in wake of confirmation that his deputy, Gideon Saburi, tested positive for coronavirus.
Other counties, including Kiambu, have closed down markets to protect their residents from the dangerous coronavirus.
In Kiambu, Gatukuyu, Kamwangi, Madarak, Jamhuri and Gakoe markets were closed indefinitely.