Missing Lands Commission communications boss was strangled to death

By , K24 Digital
On Mon, 15 Mar, 2021 16:11 | 2 mins read
Jeniffer Wambua
NLC Deputy Director of Communications Jeniffer Wambua. PHOTO | COURTESY
NLC Deputy Director of Communications Jeniffer Wambua. PHOTO | COURTESY

The senior National Land Commission (NLC) communications staff who went missing on Friday morning, March 13, has been found murdered.

Ms. Jeniffer Wambua, who was NLC's deputy director of communications, had on Friday reported on duty at their Upper Hill offices in Nairobi but is said to have left shortly past 10 am.

Her body was found at the City Mortuary on Monday afternoon after an extensive search.

Nairobi region police commander said the body was found in Ngong.

Mystery surrounds her death after investigators revealed that Ms. Wambua had actually left her personal belongings in the family car, which the husband had used to drop her off at work.

According to the detectives, the missing official’s mobile phone, handbag, and packed lunch were found in the car.

A CCTV footage obtained from the NLC offices indicated that Ms. Wambua left the office carrying nothing, and alone, around 10 am.

The husband said he dropped her off at around 7 am before he proceeded to his workplace at Kilimo House. He is based at the Ministry of Agriculture headquarters.

Komu said he got concerned when he tried reaching his wife during the day in vain. He, however, did not panic.

“We speak a lot and regularly but on that day I called around 10 am the calls went unanswered,” he told the police.

Coincidentally, Ms Wambua was spotted leaving the building is when the husband allegedly called her.

Komu told police that later that day, he went to a garage to have his car fixed and that was when he realized that she had left her personal effects in the car.

“I assumed that she would get another phone and call me but she did not at all,” Komu said.

Thereafter, he went to the NLC offices where he learned that the wife had left the office, located on the fourth floor, earlier. Her office door was locked.

After failing to trace her, he went to the house but also did not find her.

Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) detectives have launched investigations to establish her movements prior to the death.

Some of the issues to be established her how her mobile phone was hours later found at her husband’s car that was parked near her office.

“It appears she was either kidnapped at the parking lot after she opened the car and put the handbag containing her mobile phone, or she willingly dropped her items at the car,” the husband said earlier before the body was found.

The deceased had worked as the Kenya News Agency (KNA) Machakos Bureau Chief.