Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has suspended 16 county officials to pave way for investigations over the classroom collapse that killed eight pupils at Precious Talent School.
Sonko’s ‘Mr Fix It’, Charles Kerich, who oversees the Finance and Economic Planning ministry and his Health counterpart Mohammed Dagane are among top officials sent home.
“Following the tragic accident that occurred at the Precious Talent School in Ngando Ward, Nairobi County on Monday, September 23, 2019, resulting in the death of eight pupils and several injured, I assured Nairobi residents that as the governor, I will leave no stone unturned,” said Mr Sonko.
The county boss blamed the tragedy on rogue officials in the City Hall’s urban planning department.
Sonko was forced to cut short his trip to the United States where he was attending a conference on the sidelines of the United Nation General Assembly.
“I am convinced beyond doubt that drastic measures have to be taken to reverse the effects of years of flouting physical planning regulations and restore order and sanity, before illegal structures claim more lives as has repeatedly happened before,” Mr Sonko said.
The other suspended officials are:
- Justus Kathenge, suspended County Chief Officer for Urban Planning (to continue in suspension)
- Jusper Ndeke, Director Planning Compliance and Enforcement
- Dominic Mutegi, Development Management Director
- Ochanda Ondari Fredrick, Assistant Director Enforcement
- Ruth Waruguru, Director Urban Planning
- Thomas Dudi, Assistant Director Planning
- Simon Onyango, Development Officer (regularization of buildings/approval of architectural plans)
- Alex Mucheru, Development Control (overseeing approvals of buildings and schools on behalf of public health and safety)
- Mackline Saitera, Development Control (approval of building plans and school inspection)
- Edna Guantai, In-charge of approval of public buildings and schools on behalf of public health
- Joyce Kyengo, Dagoretti South Sub-County Administrator
- Lucy Wairimu Munyika, Dagoretti South Sub-County Commander.
- Sylivia Mwikali Nthinga, Dagoretti South Sub-County Planning Officer
- Okal Kennedy, Ngando Ward Administrator