A family in Sagero village, Migori County cheated death after their two-bedroom house was razed down by fire at midnight while they were asleep.
According to the owner of the house, Otieno Okumu, he woke up at night and found a huge smoke billowing in his house before he raised an alarm waking up his 3 children who joined him in an attempt to rescue a few items.
The father of five stated that the smoke was too much for them to stay in or even walk in and rescue chairs and other items. All the family members managed to escape alive and neighbours who came after hearing the alarm did not manage to salvage any items as the whole house was already on fire.
He says that one of his children who is a form one at Sagero mixed High School lost all school items and that has drawn him back to square one to find more money to buy him books.
Joshua Okumu, a brother and neighbour to the affected family, said that the family house caught fire at night and efforts to rescue any items were futile as the neighbours feared moving inside the house.
He urged well-wishers to come in and help the family build another house and also help take the form one student back to school.