Maranda High School on fire, again

By , K24 Digital
On Sun, 5 Dec, 2021 14:18 | 2 mins read
The gate of Maranda National School in Bondo, Siaya County.PHOTO/COURTESY.

A dormitory at Maranda National School in Bondo, Siaya County caught fire on the wee hours of Sunday, December 5 morning.

K24 Digital has established that the fire started a few minutes to 5am and spread within the dormitory very fast.

The dorm which was affected is named after Boaz Owino who is the former principal in the Secondary school and currently the Principal Nyambaria Boys’ National in Nyamira county.

According to Bondo Deputy County commissioner Richard Karani- police officers arrived at the scene as soon as they were alerted that a dormitory at the institution had caught fire.

“All the information that we have as we talk is that the fire kicked off at 5am and already our officers are at the scene ready to find out what had happened,” he said.

The fire incident comes just three days after all Form Four students in the school that records impressive results annually refused to sit for their mock examinations.

The over 400 students said that they will not take the examination and even threatened to burn down the institution.

This saw a decision made that all the Form Four students are sent home until a later date when they will be ready to take the examination.

Nelson Sifuna who is the Siaya County Director of Education on Friday told K24 Digital that the decision to send the students home was arrived at after a meeting by Board members.

“The Internal Mock examinations have also been suspended to a later date which will be communicated to the form four students,” Sifuna said.

In the last one week, teachers in the National School have been having hard times trying to deal with the students as there was tension after students revealed plans to torch classes and dormitories.

The school was on November 8, closed indefinitely after a fire razed down a dormitory housing 200 students.

Six students were later arrested in connection to the fire incident and detained at a local police station in Bondo.