Man who stole mobile phone and escaped into Kenyatta Hospital morgue charged

By , K24 Digital
On Fri, 17 Dec, 2021 14:04 | 2 mins read
Abdihakim Idris at Milimani Law Courts in Nairobi. PHOTO/SHEILA MUTUA

A middle-aged man has been arraigned in court and charged with stealing a mobile phone from a Boda Boda rider while posing as a customer. The phone is valued at Ksh17,000.

Abdihakim Idris who was arraigned at Milimani Law Courts in Nairobi is alleged to have committed the offence on December 4, 2021, at Kenyatta National Hospital in Nairobi.

According to a police report seen by K24 Digital, the complainant; Simon Wekesa Kwora, met the accused person in Parklands as a customer who wanted to be taken to Kenyatta National Hospital. 

It is alleged that the accused told the complainant to first take him to a chemist in Parklands and then to a place he called home before taking him to KNH.

But he changed his mind on the way.

“He then told the complainant to take him to Nairobi Hospital (instead of KNH), ” the report reads in part. 

Upon arrival at Nairobi Hospital, the accused entered the hospital and came out after a short while then asked the complainant to take him to KNH.

While at Kenyatta National Hospital, the accused told the Boda Boda rider that he had forgotten his phone at home. He then requested him to assist him with his phone to enable him to call someone.

“He was given the phone and dialled a number and pretended to be talking as he vanished inside the hospital ” the report read in part.

The complainant then decided to follow him and after a search, he saw the accused going away through the Kenyatta Hospital morgue entrance.

The complainant ran after him and when he caught up with him, a struggle for the phone ensued and the accused raised an alarm while at the morgue entrance claiming the complainant was stealing from him.

The security guards who were guarding the morgue heard the commotion and rushed there.

They then confiscated the phone and asked the accused to unlock the phone but he couldn’t as he didn’t have the password. The complainant did.

The security officers escorted them to the KNH police post where, upon interrogation, the police officers in charge established that the phone belonged to the complainant. 

Abdihakim pleaded guilty before Milimani Law Courts’ Chief Magistrate Susan Shitubi.