The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) has moved to arrest 12 individuals accused of colluding to swindle taxpayers millions of shillings in an irregular Sh1 billion tender.
The tender in question was for the construction of a multi-storey building for the Kenya Maritime Authority (KMA) office at Mbaraki, Mombasa County.
According to a statement by the Director of Public Prosecutions office on June 8, KMA had already paid over Sh1.1 billion to contractors and stood to lose over Sh205 million when EACC commenced investigations.
Satisfied there is sufficient evidence to level charges against the co-conspirators in the grand corruption scheme, EACC on Tuesday moved to arrest the 12 suspects.
So far, anti-graft sleuths have arrested eight individuals with four still at large.
List of those arrested:
- The former Ag. Director-General, Cosmas Kiplagat Cherop.
- Former Head of Procurement, Edwin Mongare Momanyi.
- Procurement Officer, Seth Oluoch Arende.
- Juma Ahmed Ali, Research and Development Officer.
- Jemimah Mkaluma Msinga, Data Entry Assistant.
- Dennis Kipkorir Ngeno, Electrical Engineer, state Department of Public Works.
- Jared Biwott, Electrical Engineer, Mengi Designs (consultant for the project).
- Robinson Mwangi Karigu, Quantity Surveyor, Quanti-Bill Consultants
- Joel Kiprono Bii, KMA Kisumu Branch Manager.
- Bakari Omar Mwakuyu, Internal Audit Officer.
- Francis Okello Oluoch, Assistant ICT Officer.
- Peter Kimani Kinyanjui, Projects Coordinator, Mechanical Engineering Services, Mengi Designs.