KQ hosts welcome party for crew of flight intercepted in UK over security threat

By , K24 Digital
On Sun, 15 Oct, 2023 15:27 | 2 mins read
KQ Kenya Airways
A Kenya Airways flight. PHOTO/(@KenyaAirways)/X

Kenya Airways (KQ) on Saturday hosted a welcome party for the crew of the KQ100 flight, which was intercepted and diverted in the United Kingdom for security reasons.

In a statement, KQ stated that the event was a show of appreciation for the professionalism and dedication of the crew, who worked diligently to ensure the safety and well-being of all passengers on board despite the challenges faced.

"Last night, we hosted a welcome reception for the crew of KQ100 to thank them for their professionalism, patience, and going the extra mile to ensure the safety, security, and well-being of our guests onboard," Kenya Airways stated.

Kenya Airways commended the crew for their exceptional performance and their commitment to maintaining the highest standards of aviation security training.

The crew's swift response and adherence to stringent safety measures, KQ said, helped reassure passengers during a tense situation.

"We are proud of the team for showing leadership, taking the necessary security precautions, and exercising a high level of safety measures onboard as per the aviation security training. You demonstrated the true spirit of The Pride of Africa," the airline further affirmed.

KQ flight interception

French Air Force jets intercepted the flight in mid-air, subsequently transferring control to the UK Royal Air Force, which directed the aircraft to Stansted Airport as a precautionary security measure.

The aircraft, travelling from Nairobi to London Heathrow, successfully landed and was directed to a remote stand, where Essex Police were present.

Following its safe landing, the plane underwent a thorough search conducted by investigators. Subsequently, it was relocated to a docking station to enable passengers to disembark.

Reports indicate that the flight received an escort from RAF fighter jets due to a quick response alert. The scene was marked by a significant emergency services presence, which included eight fire service crews. It's noteworthy that the airport remained open and continued its regular flight operations.

The plane was later released and allowed to proceed to Heathrow with Kenya Airways saying security agencies had established that the threat was of "low credibility".

Related Topics