Kisumu murder suspect surrenders to police after stabbing two teenagers over remote control

By , K24 Digital
On Sun, 23 May, 2021 17:34 | 2 mins read
A crime scene. [PHOTO | FILE]
A crime scene. PHOTO/FILE
A crime scene. [PHOTO | FILE]

Police in Kisumu have arrested and detained a murder suspect who allegedly stabbed two teenage boys, a 15-year-old and left another 13-year-old fighting for his life.

Kisumu County Police Commander Samuel Anampiu has confirmed that the suspect identified as Stephen Opiyo, 26, alias 'Chopper' has finally surrendered himself at the Kisumu Central Police Station.

The police boss told K24 digital that the suspect confessed to a report office personnel to have been involved in a confrontation with the victims while watching a movie.

"He informed the officer that they disagreed over the use of remote control where he eventually fatally stabbed the deceased before escaping, "Anampiu stated.

The suspect has been moved to Kasagam police station for further investigations.

The incident took place at Rae village, Nyalunya sub-location Kolwa Central within Kisumu East Sub-county and was reported by a landlady who heard commotion and noise from one of the plot houses and after moving closer to the tenant's house, she found Tobias Omondi aged 13 sitting outside and bleeding profusely.

When she entered the house and found another boy Dickens Odhiambo aged 15 lying dead in a pool of blood.

According to the information gathered, the County boss said the suspect Opiyo who is a bodaboda rider and a family friend had spent a night with the two young boys in the same house.

But however, at around 5:40 pm he stabbed them with a kitchen knife before fleeing away.

The scene was visited by police officers including the OCS, DCIO Kisumu East, and Crime scene support team where they found Tobias Omondi 13 having sustained four stab wounds on the neck.

Omondi was immediately rushed to Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital (JOOTRH) while in a serious condition but however Dickens Odhiambo 15 was found lying dead in a pool of blood with several stabs on the neck and the right-hand wrist.

The body of the deceased was moved to JOOTRH awaiting for postmortem.