A fire broke out at Kisumu Boys' High school on Sunday, August 20 in the morning at around 8:30 am when the students were in class moments after taking their breakfast.
In a video, the school's classrooms among other structures are seen being destroyed by the big fire.
Speaking to K24 Digital, the School's Principal Dancun Owiye said he was within the school compound when the unfortunate incident happened.
"It is unfortunate that the dormitory is located next to one of the classes which made the fire spread across. Luckily, out of the 1,500 students who were in the school compound there have been no casualties," he added.
Firefighters from the Kisumu county government and Kenya Airports Authority responded to the scene to contain the inferno.
The cause of the fire is yet to be established even as authorities launch a probe into the incident.
By 12pm, the huge fire had been contained and the school boss revealed that they were working to ensure normalcy returns adding that the decision to close the school indefinitely is yet to be made.
Parents have been urged to remain calm as they wait for further communication from the school.
"We are deciding with the board of management on whether we will close or not and we will communicate with our parents through a bulk message," he said.
The capacity of the affected dormitory he said was for about 100 students.
Kisumu Central DCC Hussein Hussein said that the unfortunate incident happened just a day after the students had opened a school.
He said that they have so far launched investigations on the matter to know the exact cause of the fire and that they will reveal it at a later date after concluding the investigations.
"So far no casualties have been recorded and the assessment of the damages is going on and we are also going to involve relevant agencies to give us the exact amount of damages that have been lost," he said.