Kisii family is crying for justice after delay in investigation into murder case of 57-year-old widow

By , K24 Digital
On Thu, 5 Aug, 2021 13:01 | 2 mins read
FILE PHOTO: Lawyer Dastan Omari

Lawyer Danstan Omari, on behalf of the widow brother, has written to the office of DPP to request speeding up of investigations into the murder of Agnes Moraa.

"We have been instructed by Mr Sam Mongera to write to you concerning an attempted cover-up in the wake of his sister's murder, the late Agness Moraa Nyagonde, by a well-known person working in cahoots with some of the late enforcement officers, it’s our clients hope that you shall call your officers in order and engage a willing competent team to investigate the murder,” read the letter to DPP

Before her death, the mother of seven was residing alone at her matrimonial home in Igorera, Mogonga in Kisii county and was engaged in farming in a piece of land she inherited from her late husband who died in 1995.

It is suspected that the deceased died on July 16, 2021, between 1900-2030hrs a helper who acknowledged leaving her in the house before she left for her home at around 1800hrs.

"Suspicion is rife that her death may have been caused by a man who paid her a visit at around 1800hrs on the fateful day and who pretended to be in need of napier grass" read the letter. 

Lawyer Omari says he shall demonstrate to the court that the man who caused her death was under the instructions of the area Assistant Chief Mr Abel Kamau and the late's sister-in-law Mwango Onyando.

After attempts to reach the deceased had failed, which created anxiety among family members on July 17, 2021, relatives decided to send one of her cousins to establish the fate of his sister as it was unusual for the late to decline to respond to calls or return missed calls.

That upon arrival at the late Agnes Moraa's house, he was surprised to find the doors open and after he proceeded into the late's bedroom, he found the deceased lying on the floor dead.

"That while it was clear that there was no struggle or forced entry into the house, he was perplexed to find the deceased mattress slightly burned by fire from cooking gas which hitherto we cannot explain why it was in the bedroom and how it got there," read the letter.

The matter was reported to the nearby Kenyanya Police Station. Officers hurriedly came and picked the body of the deceased and took it to Ogembo Mortuary.

The officers are said to have failed to preserve the scene of the crime.

On July 22, 2021, a postmortem was done and it was established that the deceased died out of strangulation.

Omari claims that the officers have not recorded statements from crucial witnesses and the Director of Criminal Investigations in Kenyanya and Kisii had expressed no interest to do follow up on the matter which clearly shows failure in his mandate as envisaged in the constitution.