Kirinyaga Deputy Governor Peter Ndambiri on Wednesday dismissed claims that he's under investigation over alleged theft of Sh138 million from a donor-funded project in Kirinyaga County.
Speaking during a press conference at his home in Kajiji village, Mwea Constituency, Ndambiri termed the allegations a political witch hunt aimed at cowing him to silence after demanding accountability in the uses of county resources.
Ndambiri said that the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) has never summoned him to record a statement over any corruption-related allegations or involvement in any underhand dealings.
"I received the information that a section of the media has carried a story claiming that I'm under investigation. Let me make it clear, I have never summoned by a detective to record any statement on the matter," he noted.
He said rumuors linking him to an investigation over the missing funds at the Home Educational International project are a part of a smear campaign to taint his name.
Further, the deputy county boss denied claims that his family members have offshore accounts.
It had been claimed that the Ksh138 million meant for the project was diverted to an offshore bank account by his daughters.
"I want to challenge any person with any information that I'm involved in any corruption-related incident to come forward and record a statement," he dared.
Ndambiri said that he became suspicious of the planned e-learning project after individuals claiming to be donor agents demanded money and reported the matter to the police.
According to him, the project was aimed at providing an e-learning solution for students in low-income areas.
"I'm the one who approached the DCI to investigate the matter and some individuals were arrested when I became suspicious of their dealings. I want the whole truth to come out and investigation not to be used as political tools to fight me," he said.
Ndambiri said the project was piloted at Karoti Girls High School in Kirinyaga County and at several other secondary schools in the Eastern region.
However, he said raised concerns after the project failed to take off.
Now, the deputy governor said he has instructed his lawyer to sue individuals behind the alleged smear campaign.