Kenei did not die on day his body was retrieved, Johansen says

By Brian Okoth On Wed, 26 Feb, 2020 17:33 | 2 mins read
Chief Government pathologist Dr. Johansen Oduor. [PHOTO | FILE]
Chief Government pathologist Dr. Johansen Oduor. [PHOTO | FILE]
Editor's Review
    Dr Johansen Oduor said he could not immediately ascertain whether Kenei killed himself or he was murdered.

Sergent Kipyegon Kenei died between 24 hours and 48 hours before his body was discovered at his Imara Daima house on Thursday, February 20, the State’s chief pathologist, Dr Johansen Oduor, says.

Addressing journalists at the Chiromo morgue on Wednesday, February 26, after conducting an autopsy on the Late Kenei’s body, Oduor said a single bullet fired into the chin caused Kenei’s death.

Dr Oduor said he and four other pathologists, who conducted the postmortem, could not immediately ascertain whether Kenei killed himself or he was murdered.

“The Late Kenei died because of a single gunshot wound. The bullet was fired into the body through the chin and exited on the forehead (sic). What we are yet to establish is whether he committed suicide, or he was murdered. We have taken samples from his body for further examination, which will help us establish the nature of his death,” said Dr Oduor.

The chief pathologist further revealed that the tests showed the firearm used in causing Kenei’s death was a low-velocity handgun that was in contact with his body part when the trigger was pulled.

Dr Oduor said there were no other marks on Kenei’s body to indicate that he had a physical struggle before his death.

The pathologist says they are also investigating whether Kenei could have been poisoned.

“We have taken samples from his body for toxicological analysis; we have taken swabs from the hands and where we saw the injuries (sic),” said Oduor.

“The body had begun decomposing. So, maybe Kenei died a day or two before he was discovered in his house,” said Dr Oduor, clarifying that the period stated was “a rough estimate”.

K24 Digital understands that the pathologist and DCI detectives will, on Thursday, February 27, visit Kenei’s house in Imara Daima as the authorities seek to find out whether the Late sergeant was killed, or he committed suicide.

It has now emerged that Kenei, who was attached to the Office of the Deputy President at Harambee House Annex, had, a few months to his death, fallen out with DP Ruto’s close friends.

The Daily Nation reports that the situation was so bad that Kenei had considered being transferred from the DP’s office.

“This is one of the angles that investigators are pursuing as they seek to find out who killed the officer — a key cog in unlocking the Ksh39 billion fake arms scandal,” reports The Daily Nation.

Sergeant Kenei is said to have been on duty when former Sports minister, Rashid Echesa, who is at the centre of a multi-billion-shilling fake firearms deal, visited the DP’s office in early February.

It is alleged that Kenei was to be a key witness against Echesa in the firearms scandal.

Are you a Kenyan in the diaspora with a story to tell? Do you know someone of Kenyan origin doing something remarkable in the diaspora? Do you have an opinion that you would like to share? Email us at [email protected]