Kabianga University closed indefinitely as students protest fee increment

By , K24 Digital
On Tue, 14 Sep, 2021 16:30 | 2 mins read
Administration block of the University of Kabianga PHOTO/COURTESY

University of Kabianga was on Tuesday September 14, 2021 closed indefinitely following student protest over fee increment.

Students at the Kericho-based institution went on rampage after the school's administration announced that it had increased fees by Ksh10,000.

The demonstration over the aforementioned fee increment was staged by second, third and fourth- year students.

The University's senate council, after a meeting, announced a decision to kick out all the students from the precincts of the institution up to a further date.

The abrupt ruling was communicated to the students and staff through an internal memo undersigned by the Deputy vice Chancellor in charge of Academic Affairs, Elijah Omwenga.

“All the students are requested to vacate the premises immediately,” the memo read in part.

In its ruling, the senate assured the students that they will go through the issues raised and deliberate the way forward before admitting them back.

Students who spoke to K24 Digital claimed they received no prior communication about the fee increment and were surprised by the rapid change.

“We have for days tried to engage the management but no one was ready to assist us. It is on that effect that a decision was to hold a peaceful demonstration was made,” a student leader said.

Kevin Sindiga, a student leader, said that they held peaceful demonstration and did not tamper with any school property. The school's management however reported that they suffered huge losses, claiming that the students destroyed school property.

“I am surprised by the administration's announcement that some things were destroyed. I am sure nothing was spoilt during or peaceful demonstration,” Sindiga said.

The aggrieved students also cited other problems, including; overcrowding in hostels, unequipped university library and lack of school identification cards despite having paid for them.

The university communication boss, Nicholas Lang'at rubbished the students’ claims, saying that the student union leaders had been briefed about the increment of fees.