How deleting of sex videos drove final nail in Wanyama, Olaba rape case

By Sheila Mutua On Thu, 8 Aug, 2019 18:25 | < 1 min read
Alex Olaba (L) and Frank Wanyama (R) were on Thursday, August 8, declared guilty by Milimani Chief Magistrate Martha Mutuku. [PHOTO | COURTESY]
Alex Olaba (L) and Frank Wanyama (R) were on Thursday, August 8, declared guilty by Milimani Chief Magistrate Martha Mutuku. [PHOTO | COURTESY]

Nairobi Chief Magistrate Martha Mutuku on Thursday said she read guilt on rugby players Frank Wanyama and Alex Olaba when they deleted an alleged recording of them sexually assaulting an upcoming female musician in February 2018.

Wanyama and Olaba will be sentenced on Friday, August 9.

The two face at least 15 years in prison each, or even life sentences.

The rugby players, according to the magistrate, raped the artiste at their Seefar Apartments residence in Highrise, Nairobi on February 10, 2018.

The two allegedly recorded the entire ordeal, and when they learnt that the victim was planning to seek legal redress, they deleted the video recordings.

“The suspects’ decision to delete the videos was an action of guilt,” said Magistrate Mutuku.

In the victim’s police statement, she claimed she tried to confront Wanyama with the allegations, but he dismissed her telling “to go look for a lawyer should she decide to go public”.

The Thursday ruling was made in absence of the media, who were blocked by the magistrate from covering it.

Wanyama and Olaba, who play for Kenya Harlequin FC, were charged in April last year, and released on cash bail by Nairobi Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi.

The victims’ lawyer said Magistrate Mutuku’s ruling was reached at “after only relying on the victim’s testimony”.

Are you a Kenyan in the diaspora with a story to tell? Do you know someone of Kenyan origin doing something remarkable in the diaspora? Do you have an opinion that you would like to share? Email us at [email protected]