Interior Cabinet Secretary (CS) Fred Matiang’I has published a list of personnel classified as essential services providers who will not be affected by the newly-revised curfew hours.
This is after President Uhuru Kenyatta last week ordered a review of essential service providers citing widespread abuse of the privilege for essential workers.
On Friday, March 26, 2021, President Kenyatta asked the Interior Ministry to vet and provide a new list of essential service providers.
Here is the list of the new essential service providers.
- Medical professionals
- Health workers
- National security officers
- Licensed pharmaceutical companies
- Licensed media houses and broadcasters
- Kenya Railways Corporation staff
- Kenya Ports Authority staff
- Kenya Pipeline Corporation staff
- Kenya Pipeline Company and distribution staff
- Water service providers
- Kenya Revenue Authority staff
- Kenya Airport Authority staff
- Kenya Airways staff
- Kenya Civil Aviation Authority staff
- Licensed supermarkets and mini markets and supermarkets
- Fire brigade and emergency response services
- Licensed security firms
- Postal courier services
- Retailers of petroleum and oil products
- Agricultural and manufacturing sector, includes those in food and farm produce processors, and distributors
Last week, President Kenyatta declared five counties a diseased-zone and ordered cessation of movement in and out of the area. The affected counties are Nairobi, Machakos, Kiambu, Kajiado and Nakuru.
In the five counties, he also reviewed the curfew hours from 10 pm- 4 am to 8 pm to 4 am.