Foreman at construction site in Bungoma allegedly killed for dropping some casual workers

By , K24 Digital
On Wed, 16 Jun, 2021 21:08 | 2 mins read
The late Martin Sifuna. PHOTO/COURTESY

A family from Kimatuni area in Bumula Sub County, Bungoma County is calling for justice after their kin, 48-year-old man Martin Sifuna was, on Tuesday morning, allegedly killed following an altercation at his workplace.

His wife Pauline Nafula, explains that the deceased might have been killed after a brawl with one of his juniors at a construction site where he was serving as a foreman.

“My husband works at a local construction site. On that particular day, he was in charge of some project and the boss told him to reduce the number of fundis at the site.

“When he told the suspect of the decision and released him from work, the guy pounced on my husband, pushed him from the ladder, and after he fell down, he picked a brick and hit him twice on the head before escaping,” she explained.

At this point, Sifuna was still alive as he only suffered the injuries. He rushed to the hospital for medication, then to a police station and later returned to the work station. This was also confirmed by the family’s pastor Rufus Khayati.

 “I followed up on the matter and after the incident, the late went to the hospital for treatment and later went to the police to file a report and went back to his place of work. It’s late at night that we found out he’s been stabbed to death,” he said.

It was until in the evening when his body was found lifeless by a nearby roadside. His father Alfred Mbita, explained that the deceased was stabbed several times.

“After I was told my son had been hurt and was lying on the roadside, I dashed there. He was stubbed three times and was lying lifeless.”

The alleged suspect who is believed to have killed the victim has since surrendered to police and is being held at Bumula Police station.

The family is appealing to police officers to ensure justice and stern action is taken against the perpetrators.

Bumula Subcounty Police Commander Stephen Obara Confirmed the incident saying police have commenced investigations into the matter.

“We have confirmed the incident. Right now, we have a suspect who surrendered and is helping my officers with investigations. We have already started taking witness statements from family members and eyewitnesses and I want to assure them that we will get to the bottom of the matter and justice will be served,” Obara said.

Our attempts to secure a comment from the owner of the construction site ended in vain as journalists were barred from accessing the place.

Related Topics