Five members of the same family on Friday, January 1, 2020, from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.
In a police report seen by Mediama Digital filed at Githurai, Kimbo Police Station, the family’s neighbours checked on the family after they noticed none of the family members had come out of their house since morning.
“At around 2200 hours they decided to check on them since the door was not locked with a padlock. Upon opening the door, they discovered five bodies lying lifeless,” the statement read in part.
At the scene, police said that they found the five family members lying in the single rental room with a charcoal jiko and a sufuria full of boiled green maize.
They were identified as Jacob Karumba 32, who was also the caretaker of the building, his wife 30-year-old wife Doris, and their three children.
The oldest child a girl is aged eight-year-old, a son aged six-year-old and an infant aged 3 months.
“It is suspected that the family died from suffocation from the charcoal jiko that was found in the house,” the statement read in part.
Their bodies were taken to City Mortuary.