Family demands justice for their kin who died over alleged medical negligence

By , K24 Digital
On Sun, 23 Jan, 2022 20:55 | 2 mins read
Kigumo level four hospital were a patient died over doctor's negligence. PHOTO/WANGARI NJUGUNA.

A family from Kigumo Murang'a is demanding justice for their kin who allegedly died after the doctors failed to attend to him on time at the Kigumo level four hospital.

Juliet Magiri claims she took her husband Charles Karanja to the hospital on Sunday morning after his health deteriorated, but there was no medic on sight. Magiri claimed that a medic only attended to their patient three hours after arriving at the hospital.

Magiri said her husband had visited the same facility Friday last week and the doctor told him to go back on Monday after prescribing some drugs for him.

"We arrived at the hospital before 7:00 am and the doctor showed up at around 10.00 am. All this time my husband waiting in pain,” she said.

"The doctor administered first aid to him before referring him to Murang'a level hospital for better treatment but it was too late," she added.

Rhoda Wangaru, Karanja's mother, claimed that her son would still converse before being taken to an ambulance where the doctors confirmed that he died moments later.

“If only they had acted in time, my son would not have died,” Wangaru said.

Magiri said her husband was the sole breadwinner of her family and his death is a big loss to her.

“He used to provide everything for us, we had two children; aged four and two years and am wondering where to start,” she said.

Other witnesses who have previously gone to the hospital also accused the same facility of negligence.

Jacinta Njoki, another resident claimed that her 20-years-old daughter went to the same facility to deliver her baby but the doctor who attended to her was drunk.

Njoki claims the doctor was called from a nearby pub where he spends most of his time before he went into the operating theatre to attend to her patient.

"My daughter had not been prepared for the theatre and after the operation, she became paralyzed," Njoki said.

"We suspect this was because the doctor was drunk and he messed up things during the operation," she added.

Njoki claims this is not the first time residents have been mishandled by the medics and now urges the county government to deploy new medics to the hospital.

Efforts to reach the hospital’s administration for comments did not bear fruits.