Eight family members hospitalized after cooking gas explosion tragedy in Muranga

By , K24 Digital
On Thu, 23 Sep, 2021 14:59 | 2 mins read
Humphrey Maina narrates the ordeal after a gas exploded, injuring his entire family: PHOTO/COURTESY

Eight people from the same family in Kigumo Murang'a are nursing serious burn injuries after fire broke out in their house on Sunday evening.

The victims, five children, their mother, father and house help sustained injuries on various parts of the bodies with different burning degrees.

According to Mercy Njoki, the children had been left under her watch after their parents dashed to respond to a distress call in the neighbourhood where thieves had raided a home.

Njoki said she had fed the children and some had already gone to bed, but suddenly there was an explosion from the cooking gas cylinder.

"I don't know what happened with the cylinder because I had finished cooking and switched it off," she said.

Njoki said she rushed to the bedroom where the children were sleeping in a bid to save them, and in the process she got her legs burnt.

Humphrey Maina the father of the children said they were attracted by the fire flames from their house and immediately rushed back to save their children.

He said he got into the house and managed to rescue the children, but five of them had sustained serious burn injuries, with two escaping unhurt.

"We have been admitted with my children in the hospital, but we count ourselves lucky to be alive because the house was reduced to ashes," Maina said.

Maina who is a mason said this has dealt a big blow to the family as they lost everything and are now appealing to well-wishers to come to their aid.

Their mother Dorcas Wamukore sustained burn injuries on both of her legs.

A medical officer from the hospital said the patients are in a stable condition, despite the serious burns.

The officer further said they shall be under observation by the doctors and discharge when fully recovered.