Drunk driver tricks patrol officers after arrest, speeds off with their rifles, phones

By , K24 Digital
On Sat, 23 Oct, 2021 13:29 | 2 mins read
Relief for two cops as IPOA clears them in shooting case
A police vehicle. PHOTO/File.

A drunk driver reportedly tricked police officers on patrol and made away with their rifles.

In an OB report filed at the Kileleshwa Police Station, the four officers who were on patrol at 11:50pm, found the said driver drunk in his car and arrested him. Two officers handcuffed the driver and started driving his car towards the police station.

According to the report, the suspect's car switched off en route the station. The suspect told the officers that his car had cut out and requested them to free the hand cuffs so that he repair the car.

"While on the way the car switched it self off. The drunk person told the officers that the mv had a cut out and requested the officers to unhand cuff him so that he can put the mv on. The officers alighted the mv and left the rifle and a phone in the mv," the OB report read in part.

The driver then took the opportune moment and sped off leaving the officers behind. The officers tried to chase the car to recover their rifles and phones but their pursuit bore no fruits. The officers reportedly missed recording the registration number of the suspect's car, making his manhunt even harder.

"The owner of the mv ignited the mv and speed off leaving the officers behind.One officer No.119818 pc Tobias odhiambo tried to chase the mv using a mc but he didn't manage to get even the registration number of the mv," the report read further.

The officers reached out to the control room to help them locate the suspect's car. A team of officers were deployed to conduct a search of the suspect at the Kaptei Gardens. The search is still on going with a hope of recovering the rifles and radio calls of the officers.

"Pc Maina raised control Room and requested for assistance of locating the mv and explained to him of the incident. The controller informed SOOPS. A team of officers from Kileleshwa under in charge of STAPOL, the orderly officer Kilimani joined and started combing Kaptei garden under command of SOOPS. The search is still on going progress report to follow," the report concluded.