Doctors save toddler who ingested needles

By , K24 Digital
On Thu, 14 Sep, 2023 08:00 | < 1 min read
Hospital X-ray of needles lodged inside two-year-old boy, which surgeons later removed in surgery. PHOTO: San Martin Regional Government

Peruvian doctors in northeastern Peru have saved the life of a two-year-old boy who accidentally swallowed eight medical needles while at play.

The needles, as it turns out, were originally used for vaccinating farm animals where the boy’s mother works.

The young child, whose name has not been disclosed, resides in the agricultural region of Taratopo, a considerable distance of 622 kilometers (386 miles) away from the capital, Lima. His mother believes he must have ingested the needles while playing in the vicinity of the farm where she is employed.

Upon realising the gravity of the situation, the boy was swiftly transported to Hospital II-2 Tarapoto, where Dr Efrain Salazar led the surgical team. During the procedure, it was discovered that the needles had become lodged in various parts of the boy’s abdomen, posing a significant threat to his health.

The release from the San Martin Regional Government disclosed that the needles were found in two locations in the peritoneum on the right side, three on the left side, one in the abdominal wall, and two in a perilous position between the bladder and the rectum.

Fortunately, the surgery was a success, with all eight needles safely removed during a two-hour operation. The medical team also addressed small lesions in the child’s small intestine caused by the sharp objects.       —Agencies                             

Related Topics