A 6-year-old child, who was admitted at the Kenyatta National Hospital, died of coronavirus Friday, Health Chief Administrative Secretary, Dr. Mercy Mwangangi, has announced.
The deceased, a boy, is said to have had a preexisting medical condition known as immunosuppression, which means that his immune system was not functioning as it should.
“The KNH medical staff who handled the deceased will be quarantined. The patients, who shared a ward with him will be moved and the ward disinfected,” said Director General of Health, Dr. Patrick Amoth, who addressed the press at Afya House in Nairobi on Friday, April 3 alongside Dr. Mwangangi.
While giving an update on the new infections, Dr Mwangangi said, between Thursday and Friday, Kenya registered 12 new coronavirus cases from 362 samples tested.
Eleven out of the 12 were Kenyan nationals, whereas one was Somali.
In terms of gender, eight of the patients were male, whereas four were female. The age of the new infections ranged from 28 to 68 years, said Dr. Mwangangi.
The CAS said the 12 have been placed under mandatory quarantine at different isolation centres across Kenya.
Dr. Mwangangi said so far, the country has tested 1, 433 persons in quarantine, with 617 more to go.
In terms of the county distribution of the 12 new infections, the CAS said Kiambu and Laikipia counties registered a case each, with Nairobi recording seven cases and Mombasa registering two.
Dr. Mwangangi also revealed that Kenya has thus far traced 1, 721 contacts, out of which 1, 073 have been discharged after testing negative for the disease.
The Ministry said it is currently tracing 648 suspected carriers.
Kenya, thus far, has registered four coronavirus-related deaths and four recoveries.