A seven-year-old girl died while three of her siblings are currently recuperating at Nambale Sub-County hospital in Busia after reportedly consuming poisonous Cassava.
According to the grandmother, Pasilisa Auma, the children complained of a stomach upset shortly after she served dinner.
Auma added that the children consumed lots of Cassava during the day.
"They are a lot of raw cassava during the day but when I prepared the supper, the four refused to eat complaining of the stomachache." the grandmother stated.
Auma with the assistance of the neighbours rushed the children to Nambale Sub-County hospital.
Unfortunately, the 7-year-old girl died upon arrival at the hospital. The three siblings were later rushed to Busia referral hospital for specialised medication.
Busia doctor confirms death
Dickens Etyang a nurse in charge at Busia referral hospital confirmed that the minors had suffered cassava poisoning.
"The three are out of danger because they are responding to medication," he stated.
The Makongeni area administration led by Dismas Makala heavily cautioned the residents against consuming raw cassava adding that they are not fit for human consumption.